The Management Board (MB) is an advisory and decision-making forum that supports the Secretary General in the management of the Department. The Board is chaired by the Secretary General, Niall Burgess and membership comprises the Deputy Secretary General, a Second Secretary General, Assistant Secretaries based in Ireland, two Assistant Secretaries currently serving as Ambassadors in our Embassies in Ethiopia and Mexico and an officer at the Counsellor grade. The Board assists the Secretary General in the formulation and management of policies and programmes as well as in the development and improved performance of the organisation. The Board also decides on assignments within the Department, at home and abroad, other than at Assistant Secretary and Head of Mission levels.
The Board meets fortnightly. Other Departmental officials attend MB meetings periodically to brief and participate in discussions on topical developments in their areas of responsibility.
The MB also meets periodically with the Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade and the Department's Ministers of State to consider strategic policy and management direction. Such meetings are in addition to on-going interaction between Ministers, members of the MB and other senior officials.
The current members of the Board are:
- Mr. Niall Burgess, Secretary General.
- Mr. Brendan Rogers, Deputy Secretary General.
- Mr. John Conlan, Chief Financial Officer, Finance Division.
- Mr. Ruairí de Búrca, Director General, Development Cooperation Division.
- Ms. Ann Derwin, Director General, Global Irish Services Division.
- Mr. Austin Gormley, Director General, Corporate Services Division.
- Ms. Sonja Hyland, Ambassador to Ethiopia.
- Mr. James Kingston, Legal Adviser, Legal Division.
- Ms. Barbara Jones, Ambassador to Mexico.
- Mr. John Concannon, Assistant Secretary, Policy and Communications Division.
- Mr. Eamonn McKee, Director General, Trade & Promotion Division.
- Mr. Rory Montgomery, Second Secretary General, European Union Division.
- Mr. Fergal Mythen, Director General, Ireland, UK and Americas Division.
- Ms. Aingeal O'Donoghue, Director General, European Union Division.
- Mr. Barrie Robinson, Political Director, Political Division.
- Ms. Sonya McGuinness, Director, Strategy, Governance and Change Unit.
Find our contact information or email us directly