Skip to main content

Statement by Minister Flanagan on bombings in Istanbul

 

Statement by Minister Flanagan on bombings in Istanbul

Following the twin bombings at a football stadium in Istanbul yesterday evening, the Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade, Mr Charles Flanagan, T.D. said 

"I unreservedly condemn the appalling bomb attacks in Istanbul yesterday evening. I express my condolences to the families of those killed, and to the injured. My thoughts are with the Government and people of Turkey today, as they come to terms with yet another terrorist attack on their country. I utterly reject terrorism in all its forms, and repeat that we, along with other European Union Member States, stand in solidarity with Turkey in the fight against terrorism.”

ENDS

Press Office

11 December 2016

Notes to editors:

On Saturday, 10 December, two bombs exploded outside the Vodafone Arena football stadium in the Besiktas district of Istanbul, near to the city's main Taksim Square, only hours after an important match had finished. While details are still being confirmed, the explosions appear to have been a car bomb outside the Vodafone Arena, home to Istanbul's Besiktas soccer team, followed by a suicide bomb attack in an adjacent park less than a minute later. So far, 38 people, including 30 police officers, are said to have been killed and at least 166 people injured. Turkish Prime Minister, Binali Yıldırım, has declared a national day of mourning. No group has claimed responsibility, and the Turkish authorities believe that the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), a listed terrorist organisation, was responsible.