Passport Service launches Top Ten Travel Tips leaflet at Holiday World23/1/15
Minister Flanagan urges people to check that their passports are up to date
The Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade, Charlie Flanagan TD, is encouraging visitors to Holiday World at the RDS this weekend to visit the Passport Office stand where they can chat to members of staff and pick up a new information leaflet featuring their top ten travel tips, including advice on passport validity; travel insurance and staying safe while abroad.
Speaking ahead of the launch, Minister Flanagan stated:
“This useful new leaflet provides prospective travellers with ten useful tips on actions to take before travel and when overseas.
“The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade can play a crucial role where Irish citizens overseas require emergency assistance so I am strongly advising those travelling, especially to remote locations, to register with my Department before take –off.
“The leaflet reminds travellers to check the travel advice and local laws and customs of different countries on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s website which provides country specific travel advice including information on local laws and customs of different countries. It reminds travellers of the importance of complying with local laws and provides information on where to seek help, if needed, when they’re away.
“It contains useful tips for staying safe while abroad and reminds travellers that it is vital to take out comprehensive travel insurance before they holiday abroad and also to comply with local laws. It also has information on where to seek help if things go wrong while abroad.”
The Minister also reminded citizens to renew their passport in the off-peak period:
“January, the month of new year’s resolutions, is an ideal time to check if passports are up to date, and, if necessary to apply for a new passport booklet. Many travellers only realise their passport is out of date when it is too late so it is a good idea for people to keep an eye on the expiry date on their passports.
“The Passport Service has introduced many innovations in recent years, including the introduction of Passport Express which aims to provide a turnaround time of 10 working days and an appointment service for those needing to travel urgently. While they make every effort to accommodate requests for passports to be issued at short notice, it is not always possible to do so within the time available and is, inevitably, a more expensive process.”
Visitors to the Passport Service stand will be able to register for the Passport Reminder Service. The reminder is a free service offered by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade whereby citizens receive a reminder six and three months prior to their passport expiry date. Those who register before the end of the month will be entered into a prize draw.
23 January 2015
Notes to Editors:
- A guide to How to Apply for a Passport, which takes Irish citizens through each step of their passport application and answers the most frequently asked questions, is available at https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/how-to-apply-for-a-passport/
- On the Department of Foreign Affairs website, you can also access a Passport reminder service and a Passport Tracking service to allow customers to track the status of their application.
- An appointment service is in operation at the Passport Office in Molesworth Street, for those travelling at short notice (within 3-10 working days). Customers not travelling within 3-10 working days should use Passport Express. Priority at public counters is given to those travelling at short notice and the fastest turnaround time for such applications is three working days.
- Passport Express is an easy-to-use, courier type service operated by An Post exclusively for passports. It is available throughout the post office network and has been in use since 1995.
- Applications reach us quickly and more securely.
- It costs less than ordinary mail or over-the-counter applications.
- The Passport Service aims to have passports back in 10 working days from the day we receive it (this is subject to the demand at the time). For first time applicants or those who are replacing lost or stolen books, the processing time can take up to 15 working days, provided the application has been submitted correctly.
- Better tracking of your application so you can plan your trip.
Tel: +353 (0)1 408 2268
Tel: +353 (0)1 408 2274
Tel: +353 (0)1 408 2276
Tel: +353 (0)1 408 2280